Thursday, May 26, 2016

What More Can An Auto Do?

Last week we acquired a new family auto equipped with every bell and whistle available. We marveled at all the gadgets showing us what's behind, beside, and closing in on the vehicle plus buttons to let us make a phone call or show the route to anywhere in North America.

Upon discovering that the outside mirrors automatically tilt in the right direction to show the curb when parallel parking, I remarked that there can't be anything else car makers can add to enhance new models, at least until we make the jump to driverless robots.

Wrong. Our old car had a navigation system with voice directions. "In a quarter mile, turn left," it would advise. How can you improve on that?

Our new system says, "In a quarter mile, please turn left."  This can be improved further. Next year's model may say, ". . . pretty please turn left" as auto civility marches onward.

10 comments:

Kay said...

Wow! No kidding? They're making the cars more polite now. Too funny!

PiedType said...

I suppose you could always just get a car that drives itself so you don't have to obey any commands at all. I'm not ready for that yet. Not sure I ever will be. But I sure am tempted by the emergency autonomous braking and the blind spot notification. Those seem like excellent features for an aging driver to have. And maybe 360-degree bumpers?

Dick Klade said...

Pied: Blind spot notification is especially important in SUVs (that's what we got) because their structure creates larger blind spots than most other passenger vehicle types have. I also like backup warnings and autonomous braking. We bought the many bells and whistles largely because of safety factors that were part of the packages.

Jono said...

I heard the new ones have blue teeth. Must be to pre chew your drive through meal or something. Do they still make low tech cars?

Tom Sightings said...

Hope it has a backup camera. I use my GPS occasionally, my XM radio sometimes. But I use the backup camera every time I come out of the garage. Love the camera.

Dick Klade said...

Yes, Tom, it has a backup camera. I'm in training--only ran over about four inches of my son's grass on our maiden voyage backing up his driveway.

Dick Klade said...

Jono: It has bluetooth. I have no idea what that does, and probably won't find out. That makes me low-tech.Low-tech vehicles are getting harder to find than low-tech geezers.

Big John said...

I'm still using a map and a paper and pencil.

Dick Klade said...

Always worked quite well for me, John. And I paid a lot less for the cars, including the cost of maps, pencils, and paper.

Anonymous said...

My 2-year-old car parallel parks itself. However, the only time I've tried to use it I discovered that it will only parallel park at a curb on its left! Love the backup camera!